Friday, October 24, 2008

Fiscally responsible or not...

Hah.
No, seriously. We have had some major money issues as of late. I know I have talked about it before. Todd being out of work back when Maya was a baby has really put us in a bind. It is just NOW catching up to us. We cashed out a few IRAs to keep afloat, we borrowed money, we had our tax return and stimulus check, and now, we are out of options. This house payment is killing us. The trucks are killing us. However, we are stuck. The only way out of this mortgage is to walk away. Which is SO NOT happening. People say to me ALL THE TIME, "Why don't you sell a truck?" Uh, because we are so upside down on them that we would NEVER get what we owe. Even voluntarily repo'ing it is useless as we would still be responsible for the loan.

Stuck. We have cut back in every way that we can. We don't go out and do anything that costs money. Occasionally we buy a bottle o' Captain, but only once the bills are paid. That is it. We do nothing else.

One thing that we LOVE to do, and almost feel is a necessity to do once in awhile, is to camp. I cannot explain what camping does for us. If you don't enjoy camping, you would not understand. But both T and I feel at peace when out and about with Mother Nature. And camping is rejuvenating for us. We used to go a lot. We have been once in the last 3 years.

I just booked 2 nights at a local campground for mid-November. We are both itching to camp. It cost us $40 bucks. We take whatever food we have on hand at the time, so there is not really an extra cost there. And we have camping equipment like you wouldn't believe. I have had that stuff for years, as I have always been a camper.

My parents used to take me camping all the time as a kid. I have such great memories from that. And I think that is a lot of the reason why I still love to do so to this day.

I love sitting outside amongst the stars, with drink in hand, and fire roaring. I like being around people who love to camp, even if we have no interaction. I love staying up, long past the time when most of the other campers have retired for the night, just enjoying the silence and the stars. It is renewing for my soul, and for T's as well.

So we decided that we are tired of NOT LIVING. It is the one thing that we REALLY love and enjoy and so I am not going to feel guilty about taking some time FOR US. Because to be honest, and without getting into too much detail? There quite recently was almost no more US. Things had gotten THAT bad. To the point where we were both ready to call it a day. We were saying and doing things that were extremely destructive to our relationship. (and for those that know, no, it didn't go THERE.)
But things got good and ugly. However, I do love him. And he loves me. So we have decided to give this relationship what it deserves and that is time, patience, respect and love. And some camping. :O)

My Mom will come and stay with Maya, and then drop her off with the in-laws until we get back. The next time that we go camping, Maya will come with us. We are first going to set up the tent in the yard and do a trial run with her before we attempt to actually take her. She is a trooper and seems to just go with the flow. But in this instance, we want to be sure. And we want just one more time where it is just the two of us.

I feel better already just having the reservation. I cannot wait.

P.S. My skull still effing HURTS man.
*giggles*

5 comments:

Chastity said...

I so wish I had some kind of sage advice that would help you dig yourself out of the financial hole. One day it will get better, Jen. In the meantime, camp your little hearts out :).

Anonymous said...

Ive never been camping. My dad always said he'd take us, and it never happened. And now I tell my kids we'll go, and we never do. Next year, we'll go. I wish so bad I could be with you, Jen.

Sara said...

I've been praying for you guys! I'm sure that something wonderful will happen soon for your family! I'm glad you aren't walking away from the house. One of our friends did. It's devastating to their credit and they cannot buy another house for like 15 years or something. They are a young family.

I only went to Girl Scout camp, never "camping". Do some fishing for me and eat a s'more for me! :)

Charlie said...

We love to go away in a caravan and find that dead exciting (we're obviously a bit softer than you two!), and it really helps reconnect us. Have a great time!

RUbirdie said...

Mike keeps trying to get me to camp. He always wants to go in the dead of summer - July. Um. No. BUT to try it in Mid November when its cool and you can start a fire....that really does sound nice.

Glad you guys are better and hope you have much fun.