Sunday, September 21, 2008

Unwanted mailbox guests

Roaches. In the mailbox. Big ones. (the roach, not the box)
This is why we all go through the ritual that we do.

It has happened more than a few times over the years, but recently? It seems like every time I go get the mail, I am in a battle of wills with one of these nasty things. UGH.

A month or two ago, our neighbor had new sod put in. They dug up the old lawn and treated the ground first for weeds and what have you. This obviously disturbed undesirable creatures because next thing I knew, my mailbox was overtaken with very large ants. The mailbox looked as if it had come alive. And? Two very large roaches had taken up residence inside. This does not sit well with me, nor did it bode well for the roaches.

I marched my happy ass into my garage and came out with a very large can of RAID. I then soaked my mailbox with it, inside and out. I looked up, and my neighbor D was looking at me like I was insane.

"Hiiii. What yah doin'?" she asked.
I pointed to my mailbox and simply said "Roaches."
"Ooh" came her reply.

Just then, one RAID soaked roach attempted to fly out of the box, unsuccessfully, and landed at my feet. I backed up, and the other one came staggering out and fell to the ground as well.

"WHOAH! Those things are HUGE!" said my neighbor, all wide-eyed.

RAID dripping from my mailbox, ants falling off in mad fashion and two very angry, near dead roaches made for a very satisfied me. I then headed back to the garage, stopping to talk with D for a minute or two.

If only I had had a holster for my smoking can of RAID.....

5 comments:

RUbirdie said...

OMG
I have never heard of roaches in a mailbox. Are these the regular sized roaches or the giant winged creatures from movies? Either are nasty but I'm just curious....I thought they had to live inside. But maybe the Florida climate makes it nicer for them....

Chastity said...

Oh gosh...that's disgusting. I wonder what is appealing about mailboxes to them...doesn't seem like there would be anything in a mailbox to entice them.

Anonymous said...

You've gotta take pictures of these beasts!

Anonymous said...

Ugh if there's anything I hate...it's "rodents" and "roaches"...*shivers*.

Jen said...

@rubirdie, these are the big mofo's that fly. My favorite kind. guh.

@chas, they like anything dark and wet. our box has a wooden thingy around it, holds moisture well. need to do something about that.

@stace, no pics! I cannot look at them long enough to snap a pic. *shudder*

@lujza - I don't like rodent-y things either. yik.