Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Home ownership

In my previous post, I mentioned that my views on owning a home have changed drastically since becoming a home owner. When we bought this place, we knew things would creep up. It is an older home. The reason for buying an older home was because we liked the 'hood. It is established and there is not the threat of a Wal-Mart ending up in our backyard.

So, I worried about the old AC going south on us in the dead of summer and the cost of replacing it. Then it happened. Next, I worried about needing new windows, because the ones we had were chintzy and cheap. We got new windows and then I worried about the... You see a pattern here? Currently, I am worried about our 18 year old roof, and all of these G-d damned hurricanes and what have you that are lining up out in the Atlantic.


We had our roof looked at recently by a roofer. He said for as old as it is, it is in good shape. Right, good shape until a Hurricane rips it off of the house. I guess that happens with new roofing as well, but still. LOL. A newer one would give me a wee bit more peace of mind. I think.


Also, our backyard paradise is no more. The pool tiles started falling off, so we picked the rest of them off, one by one. Now, it looks like crap. The weeds have overtaken everything, and it is just too hot to deal with it right now. Hopefully once it cools off, we will have SOME $$ to do something about it. Nothing expensive, we just need some river rock and some mulch. And about a ton of weedkiller.
meh.


It just seems like we are always worried about something. When we rented, we didn't worry about a darned thing. We had an awesome landlord, and when something needed to be handled, she was on it. I realize that this is not always the case. There are just as many crappy landlords out there, as there are crappy tenants.


Still, I am too old to worry about all of this shit. Not to mention the near heart attack I have every time I see the numbers on the statement, and that with all that we pay out each month, only $150 of that actually goes to the principal. Pfft. *waves hand*


As I also noted in my previous post, we pay through the ass for this place. I would much rather pay less, for more house, and let someone else worry about all the crap that comes with actually owning the joint.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm here!! Sooooo glad you're here too!!

Sybil said...

Jen, you're building equity there. When you rent, you're just buliding equity for someone else.

Believe it or not, owning a home is the smartest investment one can make. It may seem not worth it now, but land is the only thing on earth they don't make any more of. In due time, your investment will pay off.

Have you considered refinancing at a lower interest rate, or for a longer term? I understand they now offer 40, & 50 year terms! (Just don't go for a variable rate!)

Isn't T a vet? Have you looked into the veteran mortgage benefits?

Good luck with this. I know so many people struggling like you are. It's an epidemic here the US - Thanks alot Flea Brain (uh, that would be good old George Dubbya)