Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Broke as a JOKE, yo

My broke ass cannot afford the $$ for the hosting of my old blog, so here I yam, on blogger. Kind of humiliating, you know? But whatever. We have been in a financial mess ever since the hubby's melt/breakdown almost 2 years ago. If I had just one more week, I'd have been able to pay for it! Piss me off.


When we first got together, we lived paycheck to paycheck. Then we got serious, paid off all of our (read: MY) credit cards, stopped spending foolishly, and even had money in savings. Then we bought a house. And an older one at that. Hello debt, my old friend. We did lots to the house to update it, got rid of a nasty mold problem that was making us both sick, and thus ended up being house poor. We pay WAY TOO MUCH for this place. And as each mortgage payment goes in the mail, I get more and more irritated with that fact. If we were to try and sell, we would NEVER get what we owe.


And that brings me to my views on home ownership. My views on this have changed COMPLETELY. I do not care to ever own another house, EVER. Unless we build LARGE and with some of the goodies we want (like a media room and a game room, and an outdoor kitchen...). I would be happy to rent. However, if WE have to sign a lease, then so does the homeowner. That is only fair, right? I know of too many people who have been tossed on their asses because the owner decided to sell. I would be ok with this, but would want more than 30 days to find another place to live. And I would want it in writing.


I found an ad in a local flyer the other day for a 5 bedroom, 3 bath, 3 car garage, pool home for $1250 a month. That included lawn and pool service. Hello! Where do I sign up??
Pfffft.

Ok, enough bitching. Welcome to the new blog.

9 comments:

Sara said...

*HUGS* Blogger isn't that bad...I started on it and lots of people use it!

We are homeowners for the first time after renting for 24 years (our entire marriage). We love it, although I do see where you are coming from.

Rana said...

Hey, we love you domain-less and otherwise. No worries gal pal. ;)

Lani said...

Welcome to blogger. ;) I had to turn down tree trimming service (and a really good deal, at that) today because we're flat broke, too. Surgery and high deductibles will do that to ya. *sigh*

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry! (Hugs) I hate the feeling of finical troubles ! We've all been there. My husbands company went under last year and we are still living paycheck to paycheck.
Have you tried doing Payperpost ? I have been able to make enough to cover hosting and then some. Or try adding a Paypal donate button on your side bar. Us Bloggers usually stick together. There are also a ton of super cheap hosting out there. If you get too frustrated with Blogger, let me know. Maybe I can help.
Hang in there. My favorite saying is "This too shall pass" because it always does and we make it through. :)

RUbirdie said...

If you keep your domain name (mine is only 15 per year), you can transfer it to bloggers servers. So you are using blogspot for free storage but still have your old domain. I'm gonna do it when I expire in a few months. Theres no need to pay 150 per year (or whatever) for hosting.

Anonymous said...

Im on blogger too.
I rent, 700 a month. Our place is HUGEOID. We need a new stove and Im nervous to ask for it. Imagine.

Sybil said...

With today's economy, the cost of gas, heating, food, etc., single income families can't survive. Are you back to work yet?

It's my experience that regardless whether you own or rent, make gazillions, or just eke by, we spend all the way up to, and sometimes beyond our means. It's the American way. It keeps the economy going. (Yeah, right!)

Look on the bright side; You're only worth as much as you owe. If you're like me, you're worth a WHOLE LOT!

As far as renting versus owning; isn't it kinda worth the struggle to have the freedom to do as you wish, make as much noise as you like, not worry about some tenant around the baby, or just paint the walls zebra stripes if you want? I dunno, I've owned my own home now for 20 years and I couldn't imagine having neighbors one wall above, below, or beside me. In terms of being upside down in your mortgage, you are by no means alone. That's what collapsed the mortgage industry - too many people owe more than their homes are worth. But, I believe this will turn around. The real estate industry is making a comeback, and if you can just manage to hold on for another year, you'll be right side up in your mortgage again.

I watched a segment on the Today show this week, talking about how to tighten the belt in these tough economic times. She talked about cutting out the Lattes, the dry cleaning, the brand name groceries. I dunno - I guess we can all do better consuming fewer luxuries, but I don't consider brand name groceries a luxury.

Hey - as far as Blogger goes; what's wrong with free? I always say, "If it's for free, it's for me!" Besides, you have the skills to personalize your page. You could really make your blogger home something special!

Contrite as it sounds, (and I apologize in advance) sometimes when life deals you a pile of lemons, you just gotta make lemonade, ya know?!

Anyway, welcome to the ghetto here at Blogger. I look forward to seeing the amazing things you do with your html skills here!

Nellie said...

Blogger isn't so bad :)

just came over for the first time in forever and saw you switched sites... don't feel bad about the $ situation... we live paycheck to paycheck right now (as do millions and millions of us!)... own a home, have high deductibles, high insurance premiums, gas bills for commuting (yikes!)... I could go on and on but won't bore you!

glad to see ya joined us!

Chastity said...

What's wrong with Blogger? I have never had the urge to switch...works great for me.

I'll have to disagree on owning a home vs. renting. I hated renting. Not that you fall in this category, but I do know a ton of people that bought a more expensive home than they can really afford comfortably, and it seems to make for really stressful times. My house payment, including taxes and home owner's insurance, is less than $900. We made sure to buy a place we could afford on one income since we knew I'd be quitting my job shortly thereafter, so that was helpful. I hope things turn around for you guys!!