Monday, February 8, 2010

Eating out.

What do you do when eating out? Do you get whatever you feel like having, or do you try to make good decisions about what to get?

My attitude on eating out has needed an adjustment for quite some time. I do not eat out often at all anymore. When I do, my attitude has always been to get what I want, no matter how unhealthy it may be, as everything in moderation is okay, right?

Well, it took me awhile, but I DO realize how sad that outlook is. It is stupid of me to justify eating something that is an entire days worth of calories just because I do not eat out often. The more I see things like this, the more disgusted I am that these companies put out this garbage. Ugh. And what is worse is that we buy it!!

I struggle with buying the right foods. I try to keep it as fresh as possible. I really do. I am not always successful with that though. I love to cook, and would rather make something myself, than to eat it out of a package of some sort.

Take this evening, for instance. We are having Hormel Beef Tips in gravy. All I have to do is heat it up, boil some whole wheat pasta, steam some broccoli and we have dinner. My mom bought it for T and I since she is going to be out this evening. And to be honest, I am thankful because I am sick as hell right now.

I feel as though someones taken a cleaver to my throat, and my sinuses are all gunked up and it makes my whole face throb. I have been asleep off and on for most of the day. I feel like poop.

Anyway, I digress. The beef tips are loaded with preservatives, partially hydrogenated oils and the ever present caramel coloring, which seems to be in just about EVERYTHING. We do not eat this sort of thing very often anymore at all. I cook everything now on most nights. And by cook, I do not mean 'throw in microwave.'

So, in reality, I should not feel bad about having this for dinner tonight. Or should I? What is your take on it?

3 comments:

Jeff said...

I would still try to stay healthy. salad dressing on the side. Unsweetened iced tea. Big salad and take half your dinner home. If you eat enough salad you will still be plenty full. And then you get to have some good food the next day too.

Shelley said...

I eat pretty healthy when I eat out...and most of the time, I don't like eating out. I am a tad OCD about the food I eat, so I don't like not knowing exactly what is in it...how it is prepared...what is added and the calories and what not that are in it. Even if there a website with calorie information...news reports have shown how inaccurate they are.

So yeah, I tend to get a salad...dressing on the side. I often have to pick and choose what I can eat because of the being a vegetarian and all, but in the end...I usually make pretty good choices.

I've been reading and I am gonna do the Beck Diet Solution for 6 weeks. It's not a diet per se, but it's helping you look at your thoughts about dieting and what you eat and changing them. I am hoping it'll actually help me maintain my weight loss instead of this constant up 20 lbs...down 20 lbs.

All in all...I think you are making steps in the right direction. In my experience most people don't even think about it. And...you eat healthier than most people I know.

Hugs and lotsa love,

Anonymous said...

When we go to Ice Chest I always get the mushroom swiss burger and sweet tater fries. Texas Roadhouse finds me in Prime Rib. I NEVER order chicken when we go out to eat, EVER.