Sunday, February 7, 2010

Cold, white silence

That is what I miss most about the snow. I can remember being outside countless times in my younger years, just sitting there alone, listening to the silence. Sometimes, you could hear the snow falling. It was awesome. And I miss that.

I do not miss driving in it, or shoveling it, or freezing my ass off. But I do miss the beauty of a good snowfall. I used to hate when my toes would end up numb, despite the 94739 pairs of socks I had on. I remember being on an endless quest to find really good insulated boots. That never mattered. My toes always ended up numb. I finally confiscated my dad's battery operated socks. Those things ROCKED.

We really spent a lot of time outside in the winter. I can remember having to give in on numerous occasions though. We would go to Tina's house and I would sit right on their space heater. It was awesome. LOL. Instant thaw.

It took a little longer to warm up at my house, unless I dove into my 95 degree water bed. Which, by the way, is usually what I did!

So I see all of the snow that my loved ones are dealing with, and I am a wee bit jealous. *sigh*

5 comments:

Sara said...

*LOL* I'm shipping some down to you! I cannot believe we are in store for more.

Shari said...

Jen, I have never seen a really good soft snowfall. In Oklahoma where I grew up, it was sleet which is white, but otherwise not pretty. I would love to go to a ski resort on vacation sometime, but Roger lived in Michigan for so long that snow has no charm for him.

Shelley said...

I am jealous too...and I live in upstate NY. We've had one...count it...ONE...snowstorm this winter.

I want snow. I want it BADLY.

Anonymous said...

I hate it. I hate everything about it.

Emilee said...

I absolutely HATE snow!!! Loved it when I was younger and wet cold soggy clothes didnt bother me so much. I remember the walks we used to take and that one winter walking out of the Prov civic center and you face planted into the snow mound with your hands in your pockets! LMAO!! Frank laughs everytime he sees a snow mound!