Sunday, May 23, 2010

See?

This is why I hardly blog these days. The only time I feel compelled to come here is when I am angry. Who wants to read that shit? Ugh. Well, here I am. And if I don't whine a bit, I am gonna go postal.

I will be the first to admit that I need some help. I need someone (professional) to talk to. And I cannot do that without insurance. GREAT. I am a mess. I mean, I get up in the mornings, take care of my kid, the house, etc. I try to eat good and exercise.

But I really think I am losing my mind.

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, expecting a different result, right? Well, here I am doing the same thing over and over, only I KNOW that the result is going to be the same. THAT, my friends, is STUPIDITY. And I am not sure WHY I do this. I guess because I am stupid.

I KNOW he should be out on his ass. And I cannot make him go because I would NOT want someone doing that to me. He has done everything right since getting here, with the exception of snorting his meds once again. I am livid.

However, if I toss him out on the street with nowhere to go, all the work Mom and I have put into this whole mess was for NOTHING. I am just not about to make someone homeless, whether or not HE brought this upon himself.

Let me make one thing clear here. There are NO illegal drugs in this house. That is not what is going on. He takes more of his prescribed stuff than he should, and he snorts it instead of just swallowing it.

Drugs are drugs. I know this. And according to NA, one is no better than the other. I disagree, at least right now. He is not out smoking crack and hanging with drug dealers, so..whatever.

Yeah. I am an enabler, I guess. Even though I do not agree with that either, because he would snort his meds whether he was here or under a bridge. At least here, he is safe.

The major problem with kicking him out is his probation. This is the address on file with the sheriff, so if he were to no longer have an address, a warrant goes out for his arrest.

I guess what I am trying to get at is that the whole thing makes me sick to my stomach. Yet, knowing what I now know about addiction, I cannot kick him out and make him homeless now, anymore than I could if he had cancer.

Yes, I believe it is a disease. And yes, when we fight he turns into a major asshole. But you know what? SO DO I. I say mean and hurtful things, things that I know are gonna sting. I hate that about me.

So, the plan is this... hes here until his probation is done. His lawyer is going to try to get him early termination since he has done everything that he was supposed to do. Once he no longer has that hefty fine to pay each month, his unemployment should be enough to get him a room somewhere, or a small efficiency/1 bedroom apartment.

At that point, I cannot do what I did last time. I have to immediately file for divorce, get sole custody of M, and move the fuck on. And you know what??

Once he is in his own place? I can feel good about what I did. I can say, without a doubt, that I did all that I could. What he does from that point on is just not my problem. I WILL change my number, put in for child support... and try to find myself again...


because right now, I am very, very lost. And I want me back. I really do.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why don't you file for divorce now? I mean, it takes forever anyway and if that's what you're going to do, just do it. I'm lame at posting on my blog, too... but that's because my brain gets lazy on herbs.
And when I fight, I like being hurtful and say hurtful things because it feels GOOD to say. The remorse comes later.

Shari said...

I know ahead of time this sounds preachy. Sorry. I understand the pain of trying to save someone who will not save him (or her) self. But I do know a source of free counseling where you can rage and cry and listen sometimes. It really saved my life. I went to ACOA (adult children of alcoholics) but there is also CODA (codependents anonymous) or ALANON. Your situation is what they were made for. They work somehow. You have to have an open mind. No one can tell you what to do, but I hope you will think about it. Sending love to you and M.

Shari said...

Codependent No More by Melanie Beattie. This book says it all. Love.

Shari said...

oops. It's Melody Beattie

Linda said...

The Codependent No More book is excellent, Jen.

You have to do what you have to do Jen, in keeping him around until the probation ends & he pays back your mom, but each day realize that you are not going to be able to heal with him around.

Linda said...

P.S. Keep blogging..because this is actually a step in the direction of healing. You need to vent, and I am sure all of your friends, including myself, are hear to listen.

Ann Sylvia said...

Ok, Maybe I am mean, but you say "he has done everything right "except" .... you are excusing his behavior and snorting drugs whether they are prescription or not is not a behavior that is excusable - it's an addiction. It's an addiction that your daughter is seeing, that you are putting up with.

You talk so much about him and what he needs to do. What about you? You deserve a wonderful life, you deserve to be loved, you deserve to be happy .... but as long as you allow his addiction to remain in your life you cannot possibly move forward and gain all these things.

He's going to be homeless? Well, isn't that the consequence of his behavior and choices? If you keep cleaning up for him and providing him with a cozy roof over his head, then he has no incentive to change.

I'm really not trying to be cruel, I also have to deal with addiction, but I drew a very hard line and no longer allow that person in my life or in my childrens lives.

Yes, it is hard, yes I feel terrible, yes I wish I could do more for that person, but my responsibility is to the lives I created and brought into this world. I guess I just think you deserve the best and I know you want to do right by him, but you don't have to, he's an adult. The only people you need to worry about are you and your daughter.

Draw the line and create your life.

(really, this is said with love!)

~Ann~