Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Irritated

People just assume that if you are having trouble paying for your house, that you just bought too much house.

That is not the case for a lot of people. We purchased well under what we were approved for. We live in a 30 year old house in a 35 year old neighborhood. Meh. I know I have talked about this before. I feel guilty. Guilty that we are in this mess. I wonder what people think, even though I really shouldn't give a shit.

We do not have an adjustable rate mortgage. We have debt due to unforeseen mental and physical illnesses. We have debt, yes, in part to careless spending. But only because the mental/medical thing happened. We were able to pay for the spending prior to that. And by careless, I mean that we bought new furniture when we bought our house. And we went out to eat a lot. And we took vacations. And we bowled twice a week. And we had friends over for BBQs and parties. We were just...living.

Our biggest mistake was not focusing on savings. While we WERE putting money away, it was not enough.

And now, help would be a welcomed thing. Maybe then I could sleep at night. See, we are awaiting the report from when Todd had his MRI. He may (most likely) be facing more surgery. This time, a probable spinal fusion, and clearing out of arthritis in his lumbar spine. His legs are getting weaker by the day, and he can no longer feel his feet. Temporary disability pays about 60% of his salary. We can say goodbye to this house in that event. *sigh*
So THAT is why the help is needed. As it stands right this very second, we are barely making ends meet. My Mom helps us get groceries and I cannot tell you how much of a loser I feel like as a result. I am so thankful for my Mom. In more ways than one.

He smokes too much, about a pack a day, and that is the most frivolous of our (his) spending. He blows way too much money on the crap but I cannot make him quit, so I have no choice but to deal. I don't go out. I don't do ANYTHING. And it blows.
We do not eat out anymore. We most likely won't even be able to get a Christmas tree this year. And it all boils down to this house payment.

He is due to get a raise in about 5 months. Hopefully it will be a good one. As I had stated in another post, due to some job hopping (as a result of the mental issues he was facing) he is making less now than he was five years ago.

If we could get back to that pay level, all would be well. I am also trying to finish up my schooling so I can get a job. THAT would help things immensely. All we need at this point? Is like an extra $300 a MONTH. That's it. A measly three bills a month and we would be out of the gutter. Ugh.

Anyway... I still cannot help but to get angry at all these comments I am reading on various news articles that pertain to helping people struggling with their mortgage. People just automatically assume that people like me were irresponsible and greedy.
And that is just not the case. Ok, irresponsibility played a small part, but only because we were dumb enough to have that "It won't happen to us" attitude in regards to sickness and craptastic luck.

eh. Sorry. Just venting.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you care way too much how other people view you. Its nobodys business why you're in the situation you're in. You dont have to 'splain. We love you no matter what. :)

Anonymous said...

I feel for you. I think it's normal to be frustrated. Venting is probably healthy.

Keep your chin up.

Unknown said...

It is completely normal. We all struggle in one way or another, and all for different reasons...though none of which giving anyone the right to judge.

Wishing you all the best!

Charlie said...

I hope things improve soon Jen. Wishing you lots of luck

Chastity said...

Most of the people I know who are struggling are in that position because of the reasons you mentioned...they've purchased beyond their means...whether it's housing, cars, boats, daycare, hom improvement projects, private school...whatever. However, I know there are people out there losing their homes over stuff that is out of their control (loss of a job, health issues, etc). Stuff comes up that you just can't plan for, and you shouldn't be embarrassed of that, Jen.

Sara said...

*HUGS* Venting is good. Don't give up faith. I've been praying for you and your family. Things are going to turn around for you guys, I know they will.

Smoking is one of the things that I vent about. As a former smoker, I cannot believe how much cigarettes cost! If you want to cut back on things, that would be one of the first things you should tackle, not only for the money aspect, for his health! A pack a day is a lot of cigarettes. Wow.

You do have choices on how to deal with the problem at hand. I hope you and he will talk about saving money where you can.

We've been there and back and it's not fun. Know that you are NOT alone Jen.

I'm continuing to pray for your family and health issues. *HUGS*

RUbirdie said...

This too shall pass.
Coming from a non-religious person...I don't know if it means anything but that's also how I live. Or try to.
It's hard. We've been there. Now is not so bad for us but we're never out of the red, I swear.
Continue your studies and get that part-time job. It will make all the difference in the world. I SWEAR!

Nellie said...

haven't been over in a while... so hi. wouldn't it be nice of our lovely government to bail some of us out too!

things are tough right now all around. we are feeling the strain too, luckily gas has gone down to under $1.75 a gallon here and that makes life much more livable when we both commute 40 miles each day.

believe me i know it's hard, but try really hard to not worry about what other people think of you. the fact is that they don't know you or your situation so they should be the last one to judge.